A historic Tudor mansion that was dismantled near Colchester and relocated 70 miles away in Kingston-upon-Thames has gone on sale for £12.95 million.
Originally constructed in the 15th century (1483) on the banks of the River Colne, it was built by a wealthy salt merchant and rumoured to have been the one-time home of Henry VIII’s sixth wife, Catherine Parr.
However, in 1910 eccentric antiquarian Walter Thornton-Smith spotted it and bought it for £350. He then paid £30,000 to have it dismantled brick-by-brick and transported to a plot of land that he owned on Coombe Hill Road in Kingston-upon-Thames.
The 12-bedroom property was then reconstructed and returned to its former glory on the borders of Greater London and Surrey.
Recently refurbished, with seven bathrooms and a two-bedroom annex, sitting in one-acre of landscaped gardens, this Grade II listed home was sold in 2015 and is on the market once again, being sold by estate agents Rokstone.
Becky Fatemi, founder and managing director of Rokstone, said: “Buyers are often drawn to a property because of its historic, character and narrative, as well as its aesthetic appeal and the practicalities, such as size and location.
“The backstory here is fascinating, but it also has the rigor of being built twice and extensively refurbished very recently, so it really does stand the test of time in so many ways.”
Built over three floors, the 14,447 sq ft of home sits in the centre of a plot, surrounded by trees which separate it from the neighbouring golf course.
The front door opens into a grand, vaulted hallway with stone walls, low timber beams, wooden panelling, and an inglenook fireplace. Flag stones lead to the base of the wooden staircase under a stained-glass window.
To the left in the west wing is the Long Library/Tudor Hall and the Morning Room. The latter overlooks the front lawns and is flooded with natural light in the morning.
To the right of the hallway is the drawing room. All three have carved panelling and embossed, hand painted crests, with the original fireplaces at the heart of each room.
The east wing features a kitchen-dining-family room, which has been modernised with marble-top surfaces, an island and units to match.
There is a pantry, a laundry and access to the garage in this part of the ground floor too and steps down into the cellar.
Linking the two wings are long corridors that wind through the home and open into vast connecting hallways and landings, illuminated by leaded-light windows.
Sitting between the east and west wing is the dining room, which has a long table and easily sits 12, with in-built window benches and a mulled bay window dressed with a velvet pelmet, curtains and a matching chandelier.
Coombe Hill Road offers access to Royal Richmond Park via the Kingston Gate, where locals and visitors horse ride, jog, cycle and walk their dogs.
Within walking distance from the house are Holy Cross Prep, Rokeby and Marymount. The A3 offers quick access to central London.