An apartment in the building that once housed Dick Whittingham is under sale for £1.3 million through property agents Frank Harris & Co.
Whittingham was a real-life merchant between 1354 and 1424 who inspired the 17th Century folk tale, Dick Whittingham and His Cat.
A two-bedroom apartment in the Grade II listed building Whittington House provides 985 sq ft of living space, while it has potential to be converted into a three-bedroom apartment.
The property is located on College Hill in the City of London.
Tina Evans, director of Frank Harris & Co.’s Barbican, City & Clerkenwell office, said: “We are delighted to bring this excellent two-bedroom apartment to market as it offers a truly unique opportunity for buyers to purchase a piece of history.”
Whittington House is located at the south end of College Hill, a quiet cobbled road just off Cannon Street in the City of London, and was originally built in 1832 as a school by Mercers.
Dick Whittington and His Cat has been performed as opera, puppet shows and pantomime for centuries. Today it is a popular pantomime choice, particularly in the lead up to Christmas.
The building has been restored and converted into eight apartments with contemporary interiors.
The two-bedroom apartment has high ceilings and wood flooring throughout, comprises an open-plan kitchen and living room with a separate dining area which could be closed off from the rest of the space and used as a study.
The kitchen has modern integrated appliances and there are sash windows along one side of the room which overlook the street below.
At the rear of the property is the principal bedroom with an ensuite, as well as another generously sized bedroom which has use of a guest bathroom.
Whittington House is based in the City’s financial district, with easy access to Bank, Mansion House and Cannon Street stations. A short walk away is the Bloomberg Arcade with a number of bars and restaurants, as well as the five-star Ned Hotel, and a Waitrose supermarket.
To book a viewing, please contact Frank Harris & Co.’s (Barbican, City & Clerkenwell).
Richard “Dick” Whittington
Whittington became Lord Mayor of London in 1393 and was re-elected a further three times, as well as a becoming a member of Parliament.
During his terms as Lord Mayor of London, Whittington donated money into philanthropic endeavours, financing drainage systems for poor areas of London and a hospital ward for unmarried mothers at St Thomas’ Hospital.
He also funded the rebuilding of his parish church, St Michael Paternoster, which still stands next to Whittington House.